Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 21:51:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3Com 10/100 Mini PCI Ethernet

Bill Paul wrote:

> I'm sorry, but after reading this thread, I'm having a hard time coming
> up with an explanation for this nonsense which doesn't involve you being
> a dumbass.

Yes, i am. I'm guilty for the death of this innocent card, and it is just
and only my personal fault and nobody else's. Please, whoever it currently
has, give me the conical hat and i'll wear it for the next 2 or 3 months
and i promise, i'll  stick this "I damaged this card because, I'm a
dumbass" paper on the top of the hat so everyone can see it.  I will
not anymore write PCI probe/attach routines for an unknown chip to
connect it to drivers meant only for ISA, MCA, EISA and PCMCIA devices.

I'm also very sorry to be the cause of your blood pressure going up, please
accept my apologies.

AFAIK, this card is a 3Com OEM product which is not available for purchase,
all i can give you is an HP part number. It is also not a "normal" PCI card
but a so called "Mini PCI" card and its about as large as a matchbox or
even a bit smaller.

Anyway, i have replaced the card, and i will try hard not to make the same
mistakes again (before this whole mess, i was under the impression that
only monitors can be destroyed by software, now i know better ...).

But, i want to get this card supported. In case you have one or the other
good suggestion (except "stay away from the card, don't even look at it !!")
on how to proceed in a more orderly fashion, please let me hear them.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
 We all live in a yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine ...