Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 1997 12:44:39 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Penisoara Adrian <ady@warp.starnets.ro>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Root nameservers messed up?

Hi,

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> >  Don't you think the situation is getting out of control ?
> >  Noticed those threads on the FreeBSD-security list regarding DNS abuse ?
> >  Should there be done an announce on FreeBSD-security-announce ?
>
> No, and in fact the whole subject of DNS pollution should never have
> been raised in freebsd-isp.  This mailing list is for discussion of **
> FreeBSD specific ISP issues ** and I've complained about the
> phenomenon of ISPs using it as a convenient general discussion forum
> before (not that it helped much).  The same goes for freebsd-security,
> really, since abuse of the InterNIC is not really something that the
> FreeBSD security team has much power over and hence there's not much
> point in taking the issue to them.
>
> I'm not saying that ISPs don't need a place to talk about generic ISP
> kinda stuff - they do.  I'm merely saying that this should be handled
> by a different set of mailing lists lest the FreeBSD ones be rendered
> unusable in the process of [ab]using them for general discussion.  As
> we gain additional ISP users, this problem is only going to get worse
> unless the principles establish and maintain additional forums for
> communication, something which I'm all in favor of and I wish they'd
> get busy on. :-)
>
> 					Jordan

  I'm sorry for the late reply, I had to go down yesterday for some
organizatorical problems...

  First of all my apologises to Jordan and all people on FreeBSD-isp list;
I didn't mean to start diverging from the real topic of the list, but I was
deeply worried about these DNS problems (we are a small ISP, so we do
care very much). I know, this shouldn't have been shouted on a such
specific list, but at that time I had no other place to ask about this.
Thanks to Bernie Doehner now I found where to discuss around this subject.

  Once again, please accept my apologises Jordan, I ment only to help and
clarify things; far away from me the thought to use the list for some
other purposes - though you're 75% right, yes, the FreeBSD team hasn't
that much power over this issue, but still there are those 25%, the BIND
release in FreeBSD which should be upgraded to a version immune to this
problem.
  I really mean it, FreeBSD is much too wonderfull to ruin people's belief
in it. BTW, thanks goes to all peoples involved in FreeBSD developement
and support, their work helped me to be what I am today. Thank you.

 Apologises for this off topic reply.

 Ady (@warp.starnets.ro)