Date:      Thu, 09 Nov 95 14:47:11 +0100
From:      garyj@frt.dec.com
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr%glue.umd.edu@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com>
Cc:        hackers%freebsd.org@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com
Subject:   Re: gdb

> I was just noticing the announcement about the latest version of gdb
> being avilable, and it made me wonder howcome, when gdb is customized for
> so many differenct environments, how come they don't include stuff so
> that it would work out of the box on FreeBSD?

probably because I never sent in any patches. One thing I noticed was
that there's now a freebsd target in config.guess, but it doesn't work
because there isn't any freebsd target in config.sub. This is trivial to fix.

A bigger problem is that gdb/solib.c doesn't compile for -current. I haven't
had time to do more than note this fact. What happens with 2.1 or earlier
versions I can't say. I only run -current.

The code in bfd seems to be correctly done, at least it compiles with
FBSD specific stuff.

> Couldn't someone who knows the reasons why, communicate them to Cygnus,
> and get us on their list of supported systems?

I'll put this on my TODO list. I'm planning to port the newest gdb RSN.

Gary J