Date:      Wed,  7 Apr 1999 09:33:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Patrick Guerin <pat@prince.inix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3000?

Patrick Guerin writes:
 > Can anyone point a new 3000 owner in the right direction?  Yes, it's the
 > one from onsale.com and looks like it was meant to be and NT machine....
 >
 > Hope to hear some good news...
 >
 > Thanks, pat

Do you mean a DEC Server 3305?  Or do you mean a real (5+ year old)
DEC 3000/xxx turbochannel machine?  Since you say it was meant to be
an NT machine, I assume you mean the former.  I'm not familiar with
this machine, but from the picture & description at OnSale, it looks
very much like a Miata (aka Personal Workstation).  If its really a
miata under the skin, then FreeBSD should work.

First, you should attempt to switch into the SRM console code if
you're not already running the SRM console (if you are, you'll see a
series of hex numbers followed by a >>> prompt when the machine boots
up).  These instructions are from memory, but should help some

a) select CMOS SETUP menu
b) select ADVANCED (probably w/F6??)
c) tab down to CONSOLE SELECTION
d) select DIGITAL (Tru64?) UNIX Console (SRM)
e) save selections (press F10 key twice, followed by enter ???)
f) power off system, wait 30 seconds, power it on.

Once you're at the >>> prompt, download a freebsd/alpha snapshot &
boot it (ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/alpha is a place to
start).  If it works, let us know what the kernel claims the machine
is.  If it doesn't, the machine will halt, & tell you that it's not
supported.  If that happens, please pass that message along as well.
Especially the part about the systype.

cheers,

Drew