Date:      20 Jul 1999 20:05:24 +0200
From:      Kent Boortz <kent@erlang.ericsson.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SoundBlaster PCI 128 and FreeBSD 3.X STABLE

I'm lost. Could someone explain "slowly" or give me pointers?
(I have searched and failed to find information or failed to
understand the information I found)

I try to install a SoundBlaster PCI 128. I run FreeBSD 3.X STABLE. If
I boot from Windows 98 I get the following data for the sound card

	IRQ 15
	I/O 0xD800 - 0xD83F

There is a "legacy driver" also but this is some sort of software
emulation of SoundBlaster Pro and other cards, right? Nothing I
should care about in FreeBSD?

    A side note, going in to Windows to find out the IRQ etc, is this the
    correct way to find information about cards? Or am I supposed to
    disable PnP on the cards and set the IRQ etc using jumpers on the card
    or a manufactur supplied software tool?

I have in the kernel configuration file

	options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
	options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor
	controller      pnp0
	controller      pci0
	device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 15 drq 1 flags 0x0

The last line I'm a bit curios about.

  Where do I find the exact documentation about what the parameters mean?
  Why does it say "isa?" when it is a PCI card?
  What "drq" means (DMA channel I guess)?
  Is "port" what they call "I/O" in Windows? But "I/O" is often a range
  and "port" one single value, how do I find out what value to use?
  What does the varios question marks mean?
  How do I find out what values there should be?
  If the card doesn't require a DMA channel, do I just leave out "drq"?
  It is PnP, why do I specify the IRQ?

I find lots of examples in the FAQ for "device" lines but not a
description of the various options and how this works. And nothing
about the PNP support except the man page pnp(4).

I patched the files "/sys/pci/es1370*" with

	ftp://ftp.thebarn.com/outgoing/es1371.patch

and rebuilt the kernel. Now when I boot and get from dmesg
	.
	.
	Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
	es1: <AudioPCI ES1370> rev 0x01 int a irq 15 on pci0.10.0
	pcm1: using I/O space register mapping at 0xd800
	.
	.
	pcm0 not found
	.

Great, but generate more questions.

  Is the "rev 0x01" the software driver version for the "es" driver?
  What is "int a"? Why are there two lines, one for "es1" and one for
  "pcm1", the first with the "irq" and the second with the "I/O" space
  register mapping?
  Why is it "not found" at "pcm0" but found on "pcm1"?
  Why did I add a "device pcm0..." when it showed up as "pcm1"?

I tried to do

	% cd /dev
	% sh MAKEDEV sndstat

but this failed. From a news message I got the hint to do a

	% sh MAKEDEV snd1

that to my surprice doesn't create the device "snd1" but instead creates
lots of other devices, among them "sndstat". Then I did

	% cat /dev/sndstat
	FreeBSD Audio Driver (981002) Jul 20 1999 16:39:10
	Installed devices:
	pcm1: <ENSONIQ AudioPCI> at 0xd800 irq 0 dma 0:0

The IRQ and DMA information seem to be wrong, why? Tried

	% pnpinfo
	Checking for Plug-n-Play devices...
	No Plug-n-Play devices were found

Why doesn't this command show me the sound card?

Are there things left that I have to do to make the card work?  There
is something about a "pnp" line in the man page pcm(4), do I need one
and where do I put it? In man pnp(4) there seem to be a description
about the line syntax but it fail to inform about where to find the
CSN and LDN (Card Select Number and Logical Device Number), where do
I find them?

I would like to know what the various sound devices are for?

	pss1
	audio1
	dsp1
	sequencer1
	mixer1
	music1
	midi1
	dspW1

Where do I find information about what ioctl() commands I can use?
Are there free tools to play and record sound from FreeBSD?

The minimal thing I wanted to do was to be able to do something like

	% sound_config_tool -volume 7 -rate 44100 -bits 16 /dev/audio
	% cat soundfile.raw > /dev/audio

and hear something from the speakers ;-)

Help.....

/kgb