Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 06:55:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        paul <blackout@islc.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dell inspiron 8000 freebsd -stable

On 27 Mar 2002, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

:On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 14:57, paul wrote:
:>    DVD-ROM drive on inspiron 8000 doesn't work in freebsd -stable. I
:> searched the mailing lists and found a work around to do an
:> autoboot_delay="60" which after doing my dvdrom drive worked fine in FreeBSD
:> 4.5 -release, however does not work in -stable.
:> I get a..........acd0c:Device not configured. Any help would be greatly
:> appreciated
:
:Recent commits to the ATA code have broken CDROM support..
:
:Not sure if it has just been fixed yet.
:
:I'm in the same boat (well, I have the same laptop with a CD-ROM drive)

My Latitude C810 was doing that.  The answer was to run mergemaster and
remake the devices with the updated /dev/MAKEDEV script.

The device in question is:

acd0: CD-RW <Samsung CD-RW/DVD-ROM SN-308B> at ata0-slave PIO4

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"