Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 1996 00:00:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG (Gary Palmer), questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: iijppp problems - related to interrupts?

Nate Williams wrote...

> The easiest way to check the instantaneous interrupt rate is 'systat
> -vmstat'. If anyone knows a different way let me know.
>

> Nate

Thanks for the hint, Nate.  Now I have something really odd to report.
My system has a generic async / floppy / IDE card (with IDE disabled by
jumper).  sio0 has my Logitech serial mouse attached, and si01 is connected
to the modem.

Running systat -vmstat with ppp unconnected I see the following sorts of
numbers for interrupts

                           Interrupts
                            264 total
                            100 clk0 irq0
                            128 rtc0 irq8
                                fdc0 irq6
                                 sc0 irq1
                             36 sio0 irq4
                                sio1 irq3
                                 ed0 irq5

I am running X, so some activity on sio0 is expected.
Now, when I repeat the systat -vmstat, while ppp is connected and I'm
downloading a file, I see this...

                         Interrupts
                         4658 total
                          100 clk0 irq0
                          128 rtc0 irq8
                              fdc0 irq6
                              sc0 irq1
                         4312 sio0 irq4
                          118 sio1 irq3
                               ed0 irq5

The interrupts for sio1 (with the modem busy) seems sensible, but what
has happened to my mouse? If the link goes quiet, the mouse port interrupts
die away, but even pinging my ISP will put the number up to 800 per sec.

There doesn't appear to be anything crazy in my setup, does anyone know
what might cause this? - Bogus hardware?

John
--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key