Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 11:04:29 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-961006-SNAP keyboard lockup

> > I do occasionally have keyboard lockups too, but only under X.

> When it locks up, is it possible to run this from a mouse menu button
> or something and see if it fixes it?
>
> echo "set ipending=2" | gdb -k -w /kernel /dev/mem >/dev/null 2>&1

Make sure this process is run as 'root' or it won't work.  (I know only
too well about that problem, and I know have a suid program which does
the above I can call from a menu.)

> I have the same problem, but it only happens when I xmodmap the
> keyboard to swap my capslock and DEL keys.  Before I did this (the
> result of switching keyboards to one which didn't do it in hardware),
> I never had a problem at all.

I don't use xmodmap at all on my box and I see it *all* the time, at
least once/week.  (I switched the CL and DEL keys with a new keymap in
syscons).  However, if Jordan is still using his M$ Natural keyboard
then we have something in common.

It's also not X-related, as I've locked things up outside of X although
X seems to 'perturb' the system as it happens much more often in X.

I can also lockup vty switching by attempting to switch out of X before
it's completely initialized, which confuses the heck out of syscons.  If
it's any consolation, the *exact* same behavior occurs under SCO, so
syscons is doing a pretty good job of emulating both the good and bad
features of the SCO console driver. :)

Nate