Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 1996 08:45:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        Paul Walsh <paul@nation-net.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suidperl from httpd not working

On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, Paul Walsh wrote:

> Is there any way an httpd user (nobody) can run a setuid perl script through
> cgi? Does it have to be a 'real' user.

 This is a bad idea security wise. It would be much better if you were
 to create a seperate user/httpd pair and run it like that.

 For instance, I am using a DNS Perl program that handles my DNS maps
 for me. It has a web interface, so I create a user called nsadmin and
 a group nsadmin. I make all the relevant files owned by that pair and
 run httpd as that user. For things that have to be done as root, (
 named.restart ) , I use a cronjob that checks to see if a .reboot
 file exists.

  -branson
 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?