Date:      03 Aug 2003 09:49:35 -0700
From:      Frank Jahnke <frank@frankjahnke.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mouse/X11 Documentation

--=-wNOzhw8kKieIepjg5ze9

From: Frank Jahnke <frank@frankjahnke.com>
To: Ryan Merrick <sandshrimp@comcast.net>
Date: 03 Aug 2003 09:28:17 -0700

On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 03:00, Ryan Merrick wrote:
> Frank Jahnke wrote:

> Uncomment this line in your XF86Config
>
> #    Option     "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>
> The imwheel port is more or less intergrated into the X11 since 4.2. I
> dont have it installed and the wheel works great in X11.
>
> You must use the device /dev/sysmouse in X11 if you run moused on the
> console.  If you disable moused on the console you can use the device
> /dev/psm0. I suggest you get rid of moused to simplify the troubleshooting.
>
> Do check (#dmesg | grep psm0) what your mouse is being seen as by the
> kernel. I get flakey issues with my KVM that made my mouse into a
> generic ps2. You might need to change a flag on atkbd and rebuild the
> kernel.
>
> -Ryan Merrick

Thanks for the note, Ryan.

I have indeed tried to uncomment the line for AZxisMapping, though my
note did not make this clear.  Again, this did not work.

It is my understanding that if I wish to use the mouse on the console,
that I MUST use moused.  Is it not possible to get a useful mouse on the
console and in X11?  Certainly it is true that the mouse is more useful
in X11.  Still, I do use it on the console, mainly for cutting and
pasting.  So I really would like to use both if possible.

Here's the output from dmesg:
% dmesg | grep psm0
  psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
  psm0: model MouseMan+, device ID 0

So BSD is finding the mouse on psm0 as it is supposed to, and it is
identifying the mouse model properly.

I will try to troubleshoot by not using moused.  Still, there ought to
be a way to do this...

Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

Frank

--=-wNOzhw8kKieIepjg5ze9--