Date:      Thu, 07 Jan 1999 07:46:20 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Milan Kopacka <Milan.Kopacka@st.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Specifying local IP in connect()

> However, the rest remained. I still need to open connections from IP x
> which my system regulerly doesn't have while still being able to
> communicate with machine x. From my point of view, the specified
> information (local IP) only moves to other call.

This is a bad idea.  Originating traffic which won't necessarily be
routed back to you, and more to the point asking the system to *expect*
it to be routed back to you doesn't seem to be the right way to do this.

I appreciate that you're doing this as an academic exercise, however I
have to ask whether you've considered the fact that what you're trying
to do is largely already performed by the ipfw 'trapdoor' functionality?