Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 1996 07:27:55 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
Cc:        fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: perhaps i am just stupid.

Don Yuniskis wrote:

> It seems that Gary Chrysler said:

> > > I was thinking of just 'cksum bin.*' since I would *assume* that
> > > the cksums, once correct, would indicate a "good" file...

> > > how about:
> > >         cksum *.* > fudge
> > >         comp fudge goodsums.lst
> > > but, of course, that would require the user to have *all* the
> > > files listed in "goodsums.lst" online.  Also, you'd have to create
> > > an entry for goodsums.lst in the goodsums.lst file itself!  And,
> > > since DOS will create fudge before completely expanding the *.*
> > > in the cksum command, you need to take it into consideration, also.
> >
> > I don't know anything about cksum(1).
> > (Welp, I didn't untill after starting this message. This is
> >  version 2 :)
> >
> > But I just did a cksum(1) on a file.. Why can't that be directed
> > to a txt file per directory by the powers that be at FreeBSD
>
> First, I think the emphasis (at least *my* emphasis above) is
> to provide a tool to allow folks in DOSland to verify files
> have been properly downloaded.  Once FBSD is up and running,
> tools for this already exist!

That was my emphasis as well. Doable from Dos..
But now another thing has come up, On the fly method! :)
I wasn't thinking about that either.. :(

> > head quarters, Then someone (me if needed) could whip up a simple
> > Dos & Unix based program to read it and verfiy each file.
>
> The 2 line .bat file I proposed above basically does it already.
> I guess I would change it to:
>         cksum %1.0* > %1.tmp
>         comp %1.sum %1.tmp

AFAIK there is no DOS based cksum program thats compatiable with
FreeBSD's cksum output. So one would have to be written!
So, Why waste time doing both.. a Dos based cksum compatiable with
FreeBSD's cksum's output as well as a kludge'y batch file!
It would be just as easy to whip up a dos based program that
read the *.sum files and compared them to the files on the fly!

         cksum %1.?? > %1.tmp
         comp %1.sum %1.tmp

I belive this is what you meant. (That is if all the binarys have a
 two digit extension)

	cksum %1.* > %1.tmp
Would cause the .tmp and .sum to be cksum'ed.

	cksum %1.0* > %1.tmp
Whats the        ^.. for??

> (I *think* %1 is DOS's version of $1)

Yes, Correct.

> Briefly, this cksums all files in a given group (bin.*, sbin.*, etc.)
> *except* for the ".sum" file and the ".tmp" file of the same name
> (e.g., bin.sum and bin.tmp -- DOS creates bin.tmp to catch the output
> of the cksum command.  But, if you said 'cksum %1.* > %1.tmp', DOS
> would pass %1.tmp to cksum, too!  :-(   Now, you have %1.tmp holding
> the computed checksums for all of the %1.0* files.  Presumably,
> %1.sum (e.g., bin.sum) would already contain the checksums for these
> files -- because they were computed in the same way from the
> *originals* at freebsd.org.  Then, 'comp' (roughly the equivalent
> of cmp(1)) just does a compare between the two files.

I don't understand where you get the .0* from..

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848