Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2000 12:22:51 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcpd & xinetd in 4.0

On Mon, 03 Apr 2000 20:24:14 CST, Chris Wasser wrote:

> Anyways, it's "working" as it were, but there's a issue I haven't been
> able to resolve yet, hosts.allow works but I get this error (couldn't find
> reference to it) with calling twist from a particular rule. Don't know
> about spawn (such as fingerd uses) as I don't use finger. xinetd was
> compiled from the ports (xinetd-2.1.8.8p2) with libwrap support:
>
> Apr  3 19:58:38 area51 xinetd[22326]: error: /etc/hosts.allow, line
> 68: twist option in resident process

The TCP Wrappers package is trying to prevent you from shooting yourself
in the foot by twisting out of xinetd.  Do you understand how twist
works?  It exec()'s the twist program (/bin/echo in your case),
replacing the running process.  That means that the running copy of
xinetd is going to disappear. :-)

> I realize how feeble this sounds, but I don't understand the error
> message (and thus don't know where to begin to fix it) otherwise they work
> fine together. Anyone else encounter this or enlighten me as to what it's
> complaining about so I can go make it happy?

I'm personally attached to our own inetd, so I won't comment. :-)  If
you insist on using xinetd, I'd suggest using the spawn option instead
of the twist option.  Spawn runs the command as a child process.

Ciao,
Sheldon.