Date:        Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:52:17 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Mike Ruhl <mruhl@network-alchemy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wd vs ad

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 11:42:44AM -0800, Mike Ruhl wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I recently upgraded to 4.0 and made the change from the /dev/wd*
> devices to /dev/ad* devices.  And I had a few questions about this...
> :)
>
> 1) Can I safely delete the wd devices?
>
> I did a clean install of 4.0 and those devices where part of the
> install.  Are they still necessary?  Are they hanging around for
> backwards compatibility?

They are just for backwards compatibility. If you don't have any
programs/scripts/config-files that refer to the wd* files you can safely
delete them.

> 2) It appears that the ad devices are character devices instead of
> block devices.  Further investigation reveals that all the wd devices
> are character devices as well.  I have obviously missed something
> somewhere.  When did the disk devices become character devices?  Why
> the change?  Has the driver model changed so that character/block
> devices are no longer "relevant"?

Yep, block devices are gone. A quick look in /usr/src/UPDATING shows that
this change happened about a year ago (entry for 19991205)

> A casual search of the archives hasn't revealed anything. :(  Can
> someone point me to a location of where this was discussed?

Probably -arch or -current in late 1999.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson