Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 01:32:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu (Steve Kargl)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fortran continued [Re: sysinstall]

> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/g77-0.5.23.tar.gz
>
> more README.g77
> * To build GNU Fortran, you must have a source distribution of gcc
>   version 2.8.  Do not attempt to use any other version
>   of gcc, because this version of g77 is designed to work only with
>   gcc version 2.8.
>
> I think ports/lang/g77 should be removed, or it should point at egcs.

egcs still requires you to choose, at the time you build the compiler,
whether you will *ever* be able to compile threaded programs.

Then, if you choose to compile threaded programs, correct operation
of non-threaded programs is not guaranteed (unresovled external
for the threads exception stack) unless you link *all* your code,
threaded or not, against libc_r.

We have tread this ground before.  The egcs code assumes threads
do not add overhead if they are not being used -- in other words,
it assumes kernel threads.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---