Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:36:30 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: feedback on CD install of 4.0-RC2

> it makes sense to slice it that way. Also, as far as teaching new users how
> to install it, I _always_ show them the custom route. While this may sound
> harsh, its used to familarize them with all of sub-components, and

I really kinda wish you'd point them to Novice^H^H^H^H^HStandard
instead since it does more than be a bit more verbose, it also makes
sure that all the appropriate steps are covered and prevents even
relatively skilled people from hanging themselves.

Let's take the case someone recently reported: He went and added a
user or two using the user configuration tool, THEN went and
configured X and the default desktop.  Since the default desktop
configuration writes the new skeleton files, adding the user(s) first
means they all get the stock twm environment since the Desktop config
tool is hardly going to go back retroactively and frob every user it
can find on the system - that would be evil and bad even if I wanted
to add the code to do this.  Using the Standard installation, you're
presented with all the appropriate checklist items in the *right order*
so you don't shoot parts of your anatomy off like this.

I will also say here and now that even I use the Standard installation
since I don't like having to remember all the canonical steps in setting
up a "stock" system and if anybody should remember them, it should be
me - I've probably installed FreeBSD at least 50,000 times. :-)

Do your friends a favor, point them at the now-not-so-embarassingly-named
Standard installation as a matter of course.  Custom installation
is for those who both understand what they're doing and what they're
*not* doing as a consequence of using it.  As our desktop friend proved,
not even those who think they know the full set of "nots" can escape
being proven wrong by Custom. :)

- Jordan