Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 13:07:34 -0600 (CST)
From:      Doug Poland <djp@new.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ntpd oddities

Hi all,

I'm having a strange problem with ntpd. I'm running an ntpd
server (also gateway/router) on a 4.1.1-RELEASE box on a
private network.  I've got various clients running either
xntpd (< 4.0-RELEASE) and ntpd (>=4.0-RELEASE).

All clients using xntpd sync fine.  Everyone running ntpd
do not sync (execpt, of course, the time server itself).

Here's a summary of how the machines are configured...

2.2.8-RELEASE boxes rc.conf
	xntpd_enable="YES"
	xntpd_program="xntpd"
	xntpd_flags="-b"

3.4-RELEASE and 4.x-RELEASE boxes rc.conf
	xntpd_enable="YES"
	xntpd_flags="-b"

4.1.1-RELEASE Time server rc.conf
	xntpd_enable="YES"
	xntpd_flags="-p /var/run/ntpd.pid"

TimeServer:/etc/ntp.conf

	server ncar.ucar.edu prefer
	server 127.127.1.0
	fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10
	driftfile /etc/ntp.drift

Does anyone know why xntpd clients can sync with my
ntpd server but ntpd clients cannot?

Thanks,
Doug