Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 14:25:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        amnuay@comnet.spu.ac.th (amnuay muthitacharoen)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NCSA PC telnet

> 	I have installed ncsa telnet 2308B on my "HP Vectra 80486/33N-Super VGA"
> machine. When I telneted to an AUX machine, everything worked fine.
> But when I telneted to a FreeBSD Unix machine, there were several
> problems :-
>
> 	1) When I typed my login name, the name was printed on the screen
> twice.
> 	2) When I typed my password, the password was printed on the screen.
> 	3) When I pressed the up-arrow key , the cursor went up and printed
> a string sequence.
> 	4) When I used "vi" , the commands, such as "i", was printed on the
> screen too.
>

> What caused these problems, and how do I solve them ?

You have incorrectly negotiated "line mode" on the NCSA client telnet.

This may be related to NCSA using option WILL/WONT/DO/DONT ordering
to attempt to determine if the telnetd is a 4.2 (broken OOB channel)
or 4.3 (fixed OOB channel) and it guessing wrong.

Update your NCSA telnet client to a more recent version.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.