Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:53:43 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Frank =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Wi=DFmann?= <frank.wissmann41@web.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: World doesn't build correctly

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:50:25 +0100, Frank Wi=DFmann <frank.wissmann41@web.d=
e> wrote:
> Well, I used your settings of "default release=3Dcvs tag=3DRELENG_7", but=
=20
> the answer is still this:
> FreeBSD grissom.einundvierzig.org 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0:=20
> Wed Feb 18 21:36:57 CET 2009    =20
> root@grissom.einundvierzig.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GRISSOM  amd64
>=20
> Any ideas, folks? Or should I post something more?

may I ask how exactly you did the update? As it has mentioned
before, the handbook (even the german version) gives a good
"routeplan" for this.

In general:

	# cd /usr/src
	# make update
	# make buildworld buildkernel KERNCONF=3DGRISSOM
	# make installkernel KERNCONF=3DGRISSOM
	# reboot
	boot -s
	fsck and mount -a
	# cd /usr/src
	# mergemaster -p
	# make installworld
	# mergemaster
	# reboot

(Hope that's correct from my mind, check handbook anyway.)

Note that the configuration files mentioned above usually employ
the "make update" command from within /usr/src. Kernel and world
have to be the same version.

Oh yes, and check your /boot/loader.conf if eventually a previous
kernel is loaded, maybe you stored a "spare kernel" in /boot and
the loader loads this, instead of /boot/kernel/kernel? Just to be
sure... I mention this because I had a "spare" 6.0-GENERIC kernel
saved in /boot, a setting in /boot/loader.conf for some testing,
then updated the system (which affected /boot/kernel/kernel,
but not /boot/kernel/kernel.GENERIC which was instead loaded). :-)

--=20
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0