Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:45:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.2 Problem possibly I/O related

Due to the nature of this problem, I can't do any tracing.

I have noticed several times since upgrading to 4.2-RELEASE
that the system will just "freeze".

When this happens, you can still ping the IP of the machine
on the local network, but you cannot get a telnet or ftp connection.

You can not switch from X to a virtual terminal. The mouse pointer
is non-responsive. The NUMLOCK key on the keyboard is non-responsive.
However, something is still alive, as you can ping it.

The only way out is a reboot. This is definitely "Un-FreeBSD-Like"
behavior! I have been running FreeBSD for about 3 years on this
machine, a P200MMX with 64 megs RAM and Tyan motherboard.

The only clue I have is that I was attaching a 1.5 meg file in
Netscape mail. I have also had this happen on certain web pages.
Not ofter, but once or twice in a couple months.

The other time I have had this happen was when writing to a
bad floppy disk (bad sectors) using mtools.

The file attachment caused a lot of disk activity and perhaps,
given the floppy's causing the same of similar problem, this
is I/O related? Just a wild guess.

This could, of course, be a hardware problem that is creeping up,
or a problem in XFree86 (I've never seen this in a virtual terminal).

Anyone else seen this kind of behavior? I'm fairly certain that
4.1 did not do this.

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting some useful information
from the system. There is no crase, per se, so no crash dump.

-Jim Durham