Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 2004 17:27:35 +0200
From:      Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
To:        Wayne Pascoe <freebsd-feb@penguinpowered.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel Ethernet card not being detected

--zS7rBR6csb6tI2e1

> I've tried installing 5.2.1 on the machine and it still doesn't work.
> Now though, it's even worse, as the em0 device doesn't work either.=20
>=20
> I get something along these lines:
> em0: Link is up 10Mbps Half Duplex
> em0: watchdog timeout -- resetting=20
> em0: Link is up 10Mbps Half Duplex
> em0: watchdog timeout -- resetting=20

I can recall from some older postings (and the archives. Hint, hint ;-) that
this can be worked around by disabling ACPI.

[...]

> none3@pci3:8:0:	class=3D0x020000 card=3D0x30108086 chip=3D0x10518086 rev=
=3D0x02 hdr=3D0x00
>     vendor   =3D 'Intel Corporation'
>     device   =3D '82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection'
>     class    =3D network
>     subclass =3D ethernet

Okay, that's your Intel NIC that is not detected (yet ;->

Add the following line to struct fxp_ident fxp_ident_table[]
(in /usr/src/sys/dev/fxp/if_fxp.c)

    { 0x1051,	-1,	"Intel 82562ET (ICH5/ICH5R) Pro/100 VE Ethernet" },

and rebuild your kernel. This has already been added to -CURRENT, so you
don't have to file a problem report.

Simon

P.S:
0x1051 are the first four letters of the chip id in the pciconfig output.

-1 matches all chip revisions, i.e. if special hacks for a specific
revision (0x02 in your case) were necessary, the would be an extra line
for that particular chip.

--zS7rBR6csb6tI2e1

--zS7rBR6csb6tI2e1--