Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 2003 11:45:25 +0200
From:      Pekka Nikander <pekka.nikander@nomadiclab.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPsec / ipfw interaction in 4.7-STABLE: a proposed change

Brooks Davis wrote:
> loif[] is evil and its use should not be extended.  In any case, NLOOP
> no longer exists in current since loopback interfaces are clonable.  If
> you didn't want to adopt OpenBSD's enc interface, an alternate solution
> might be to set up an ioctl to allow you to register the interface you
> want to have these packets come from.

OpenBSD enc sounds like the right choice, but I'm a bit
worried about the amount of work involved in porting
it.  Handling incoming packets seems to be easy enough,
but implementing the possibility of snooping outgoing
packets may not be that easy...

Now, out of curiosity, why do you consider loif[] evil?

--Pekka Nikander