Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 1996 05:03:28 -0800
From:      Jeff Smith <sumisu@nttlabs.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problems after 2.2-960801-SNAP

All boot floppies after 2.2-960801-SNAP have problems with timing out
on my PCMCIA ether interface.

Haven't had time to really try to debug this, but looking at the
ALPHA release I had the same problem, and haven't had time to confirm
with the BETA.

May very well be a simple fix, since you can modify the kernel drivers
on boot, but everything worked without any flaws until I tried to boot
and install with a later version.

I have a Digital Ultra II and an IBM Credit Card Ethernet II PCMCIA.
Booting from the distribution floppy recognizes the ethernet as ze0
and I can configure the interface, but then when I try to start
downloading the distribution via ftp the kernel messages are something
on the order of "Interface timeout..."  seem to remember that they are
PCIC interface messages, but can't be sure from memory.

Now the real problem - I'm getting on a plane in 24 hours to go to
Japan for 3 weeks so I can't debug this any further.  I just wanted to
know if this was a simple problem to fix or something that got broke
along the way and will make it into the 2.2 RELEASE.

js

--
 Jeffrey D. Smith     $B!Z%8%'%U%j!<!&%9%_%9![(B
 Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation

 new-pgp-fingerprint: 2F 95 88 54 C1 FB 75 25  BB 71 FC 8A 85 49 18 C2
 old-pgp-fingerprint: C1 EE A9 BD B1 E9 2E 9A  03 CF 6B E1 CF C4 D0 0D
 e-mail: sumisu@nttlabs.com