Date:      Thu, 20 May 2010 17:26:32 +0200
From:      Vikash Badal <Vikash.Badal@is.co.za>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   increasing memory for no root users on freebsd 8.0

Can someone assist me with tunning freebsd 8.0 so that I can allocate mor=
e memory to a process that is not owned by root or running as root.

>From top=20
I get this line before it coredumps.

PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU COMMAND
1161 nntpd      1500  44    0   502M   303M STOP     1:27  0.00% nntpd

The server has:
real memory  =3D 4294967296 (4096 MB)
avail memory =3D 3145883648 (3000 MB)

/boot/loader.conf
kern.maxdsiz=3D"768M"
kern.maxssiz=3D"768M"
kern.maxtsiz=3D"768M"

limits
Resource limits (current):
=20 cputime              infinity secs
=20 filesize             infinity kB
=20 datasize               786432 kB
=20 stacksize              786432 kB
=20 coredumpsize         infinity kB
=20 memoryuse            infinity kB
=20 memorylocked         infinity kB
=20 maxprocesses             5547
=20 openfiles               11095
=20 sbsize               infinity bytes
=20 vmemoryuse           infinity kB
=20 pseudo-terminals     infinity
=20 swapuse              infinity kB

according to tuning(7)

=20    The kern.dfldsiz and kern.dflssiz tunables set the default soft li=
mits
=20    for process data and stack size respectively.  Processes may incre=
ase
=20    these up to the hard limits by calling setrlimit(2).  The kern.max=
dsiz,
=20    kern.maxssiz, and kern.maxtsiz tunables set the hard limits for pr=
ocess
=20    data, stack, and text size respectively; processes may not exceed =
these
=20    limits.  The kern.sgrowsiz tunable controls how much the stack seg=
ment
=20    will grow when a process needs to allocate more stack.

But setting these values in /boot/loader.conf does not seem to solve the =
memory limits that I am hitting.

Any idea where I'm going wrong ?

Thanks

Please note: This email and its content are subject to the disclaimer as =
displayed at the following link http://www.is.co.za/legal/E-mail+Confiden=
tiality+Notice+and+Disclaimer.htm. Should you not have Web access, send a=
=20mail to disclaimers@is.co.za and a copy will be emailed to you.