Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 1996 23:29:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <mitayai@dreaming.org>
To:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
Cc:        Jaykork@aol.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and a 286?

On Wed, 21 Feb 1996, Robert Nordier wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Feb 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> > > Hi there, I have a DEC 286 VaxMate computer, is there any way that I can run
> > > FreeBSD unix on it? If not, can you suggest a flavor of UNIX that will run on
> > > the 286?
>
> [.....]
>
> > Minix (you might find an older copy of the Tannenbaum book with a disk)
> >
> > You will need to buy them used and/or from an overstock/outdated
> > warehouse.  SCO is the only one that supports networking of any
> > kind; it's not enough to do standard X, since the select() function
> > is missing from most old Xenix drivers... besides, X is too large for
> > a 286.
>
> Apparently a current version of Minix (1.7.1) is available in a
> distribution that supports the 286 ... and even the 8086.  Check out
>
>    http://www.cs.vu.nl/%7East/getting_minix.html
>
> Binaries and source are available for downloading from the same address.

Assuming i had a dozen xt's lying around, some ethernet cars, some arcnet
cards... could i make them of any use in my network?

-mit

   Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe at DreamLabs Community Information Network
              Toronto/Peterborough/Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
           Web: http://www.dreaming.org/~mitayai  IRC: Mitayai
                       Email: mitayai@dreaming.org