Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 17:24:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        <stable@freebsd.org>, <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: ssh + X11 forwarding = a hung ssh process

On Thu, 30 May 2002, John Polstra wrote:

> Nah, I don't agree with that.  The ssh process should stay around as
> long as there is an X11 connection open, but it should die when the
> last tunneled X11 connection is closed (i.e., when the remote xterm
> exits).  That's what it's traditionally done, and that's the more
> useful behavior.

I see what I've always observed,

mike@mojo{mike}$ ssh -C -X snafu.adept.org xterm
mike@snafu.adept.org's password:
<xterm pops up>
<hit ctrl-d>
Waiting for forwarded connections to terminate...
The following connections are open:
  #1 X11 connection from snafu.adept.org port 2758 (t4 r0 i4/0 o16/0 fd 8/8)

If you try to close the tunnel while X sessions are active, you get
alerted of the open sessions.  Otherwise, as in this case, things close
normally.  This is as of,

mike@mojo{mike}$ uname -a
FreeBSD mojo.televoke.net 4.6-RC FreeBSD 4.6-RC #0: Tue May 21 13:06:49
PDT 2002     mike@mojo.televoke.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/MOJO  i386

Haven't tried after last night's cvsup.  It's probably not related, but
this isn't somehow tied into the existing Linux/HP-UX bug in the FAQ is
it?

http://www.openssh.com/faq.html#3.10

Probably not, I just knew about this because some developers complained to
me awhile back.  I always thought it was interesting that under 'Why' they
say 'ssh needs to hang, because it needs to wait ...'.  So why does it
only do it on certain OSs?  ;)

Later,
-Mike

 safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  --Benjamin Franklin