Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2000 11:52:44 +0000
From:      Otter <otterr@bellsouth.net>
To:        wim@xs4all.nl
Cc:        John Indra <m4v3r1ck@bigfoot.com>, FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Xfstt tends to be zombie...

Wim Elhorst wrote:

> John Indra wrote:
> > Here's a snapshot from my /var/log/messages:
> > Jan 15 12:32:41 mona /kernel: cmd xmms pid 11121 tried to use
> > non-present sched_ getscheduler
>
> Try enabling the realtime posix extensions for your kernel.
>
> -wim

Just to follow up, here's the line the kernel contents that wim
suggested:

# Bonus for making this use POSIX scheduling control and better
# scheduling. I added this for use with /usr/ports/audio/cdrdao
# Star Office also requires it.
options                 "P1003_1B"
options                 "_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING"
options                 "_KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L"

i have this in mine and xmms works fine here. as for your doubt of the
desktop, you should check out some of the other window managers. i'm not
going to start a flame war by recommending one,
*cough*windowmaker*cough* but i can say that depending on your x11
server, the resolution you run it at, and the number of apps you run at
any given time, you should look for less resource-demanding wm's...
ram's cheap too.
-Otter