Date:      Thu, 06 Mar 2003 02:17:33 +0100
From:      Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Revisiting CONFIGURE_TARGET

Hum,

I recently stumbled across autoconf/automake installing bogofilter stuff
as i386-portbld-freebsd4.8-${PROGRAM} -- and I've wondered about the
reason, found time was running out before the freeze and worked around
with "--program-transform-name=" -- ugly, but quick. I only later
figured it is covered in the Porter's handbook.

Is a fix like this conceivable:

.if defined(OLD_GNU_CONFIGURE)
CONFIGURE_TARGET?=      ${MACHINE_ARCH}-portbld-freebsd${OSREL}
.else
CONFIGURE_TARGET?=      --build=${MACHINE_ARCH}-portbld-freebsd${OSREL}
.endif

Perhaps with some magic to define OLD_GNU_CONFIGURE from the header of
configure, which is for instance:

#! /bin/sh
# Guess values for system-dependent variables and create Makefiles.
# Generated by GNU Autoconf 2.57 for bogofilter 0.11.1.
#

That way, it would become unnecessary for ports using recent autoconf
versions to add this CONFIGURE_TARGET override.

--
Matthias Andree