Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:43:34 -0800
From:      Chuck Tuffli <chuck_tuffli@agilent.com>
To:        "Long, Scott" <Scott_Long@adaptec.com>
Cc:        "'Nate Lawson'" <nate@root.org>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SIM as loadable module?

Thanks to everyone that helped. I statically compiled the code into
the kernel and the bus does get scaned. "camcontrol rescan" also scans
the bus when the driver is a loadable module. On one of those other
free OSs, loading the driver automatically kicks off a bus scan. Not
that automatically scanning the bus is better, it was just what I was
expecting.

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 04:45:24PM -0500, Long, Scott wrote:
> Ok, I'm getting really confused.  Chuck, is the problem that the
> bus doesn't get scanned at all, ever, or that it doesn't get scanned
> when loaded as a module?  Have you tried doing a 'camcontrol rescan'
> on the bus after loading the module?
[snip]
> As for how to handle the target id assignment of the SIM's bus, I think
> that you're making it more complicated that it needs to be.  CAM's bus
> scan algorithm is smart enough to not attempt to probe the target number
> that you've specified as belonging to the host.  I'm not sure if setting
> it to cpi->max_target + 1 will confuse CAM or not, but I highly doubt it.
> The bus_id number is another thing that CAM doesn't really care about, so
> as long as you provide a number that the user/applications agree is
> logical, everything is fine.

Ok, this id good to know.

--
Chuck Tuffli    <chuck_tuffli AT NO_SPAM agilent DOT com>
Agilent Technologies, Storage and Networking