Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 1996 21:03:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Iwan Leonardus <riwanlky@rad.net.id>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: support

On Thu, 28 Mar 1996, Iwan Leonardus wrote:

> My FreeBSD cdrom just arrived and I have installed it, until now
> I have some questions:
>
> I am new to unix but have experience a SCO quite a little, but never
> in BSD. Can you help me to feel at home at this BSD.
>
> I need a knowledge on the administrational like:
> - how to configure a printer, user account, (what is the equivalent for
>   sysadmsh, and scosh)
> - configuring, NFS, network card, TCP/IP, (what is the netconfig
>   equivalent)
> - how to configure PPP dial out to internet provider
> - configure web server for CERN map, creating a script for CGI, stuffs
>   like that
> - configure as router for my lan workstation so they can dial out to
>   internet
> - configure X
> - and many more

I think you want the FreeBSD Handbook, available at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook.html.

You may also be interested in the upcoming book "Running FreeBSD" and
others mentioned on the booklist.

> I wonder if I should learn from email support for all this or maybe I
> can read some good books, and what are they?

You are in the right spot for email help, I think.  Try getting the
available list of lists from majordomo@freebsd.org (I don't remember the
command; send "help" in the body by itself to get a help listing).  The
mail archives and the recommended booklist at the above site may be of use
to you.

> I myself is a DOS c programmer, but DOS is not designed to run several
> programs act as server. So when I can feel at home with this OS I hope
> I can use it for my developing platform for more commercial applications.
> I want to try this becouse they said it is stable.

Knowledge of general C is a good start.  The recommeded books should
help you adjust to the new environment.