Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 07:14:15 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup of ports, then what?

At 09:10 AM 11/16/01 -0800, you wrote:
>If memory serves me right, Mike Meyer wrote:
<snip>
>I personally recommend using portupgrade...it does a much better job of
>handling upgrades than pkg_version could ever pretend to do.  pkg_version
>sucks rocks at solving the port upgrade problem because it was never
>designed to handle it.
>
>Bruce.
>
>PS.  Mike probably knows this, but for anyone who wasn't aware, I'm the
>original author of pkg_version, so I'm entitled to make disparaging
>remarks about it.

I'm glad you said that because I'd like to thank you for a good tool. It
sounds as if you now wish you'd made it better than you did, but let me
tell you I've found it useful, and I can't think of much higher praise than
that. I've found it to be a good, solid, workmanlike program which solves
one of my problems well. I've had a couple of cases where dependencies
weren't properly updated in my source tree and the commands from
'pkg_version -c' generated an error, but that wasn't the fault of pkg_version.

But thanks too for giving a recommendation for what you consider a superior
tool. Now I'll try it, since you should know whether it's better or not.
--
Roger