Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:18:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        jhay@mikom.csir.co.za (John Hay)
Cc:        davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: login classes

John Hay said:
> > >  rc files use the daemon class, which is too conservative...
> > >
> > >  Perhaps we need a change in this class.  If possible, in time to 2.2.5.
> >
> > It sounds like limits(1) might be needed in some cases. That's why
> > it exists. I really don't think this is an issue that needs to be
> > fiddled with in the default installation. If "daemon" resources
> > don't suit a particular installation, then obviously they need to
> > change it or use an alternative class with better tuned resources
> > for a particular case, but there's no formula that will suit everyone
> > in all cases.
>
> But if the shipped defaults does not work for most people, shouldn't
> the shipped defaults change? I would guess that most FreeBSD boxes
> are used as single-user machines, so maybe we should ship it with
> more relaxed limits? At the moment the shipped defaults does not
> seem to work for anything that I have, which is news servers, web
> servers, development servers, mail servers or personal machines.
> Or maybe we must specify for what kind of box the defaults is
> suitable?

I think that we should apply the philosophy of 'least surprise' to the
default config.  Every system has a slightly different login-class
mechanism (if any.)  I think that wide-open (or nearly so) would be
the 'least surprise.'  Intelligent sysops, system administrators or
vertical product suppliers will each have different needs for default
limits.  I think that the defaults should be 'intelligently high.'

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org