Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:07:15 -0700
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@freebsd.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Workaround for hanging on exit: patch for review

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 02:22:47PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :I often notice processes hanging forever on exit's ttywait when TCP
>
>     I think this is a good idea.  I've seen processes stuck in ttywait
>     forever too, usually when I'm using cu and the remote end is spewing
>     all sorts of junk my way.

There is a number of places this may occurse and all of them have no timeout
by default.  F.e.  if some terminal shell hangs in exit's ttywait, comsat
hangs on ttywrite and lots of comsats appearse after several hours. Alternative
solution will be adding

	tp->t_timeout = 180 * hz;

while initializing tp struct, but it is more radical than I suggest initially.
Any ideas?

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nagual.pp.ru>