Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 18:45:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        Yann Ramin <atrus@atrustrivalie.org>
Cc:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pthread Q

On 15 May 2002, Yann Ramin wrote:

> You shouldn't need to make a link to libpthread. FreeBSD contains a
> pthread implementation in libc_r, which XMMS should easily use. I would
> delete the libpthread links and rebuild xmms.

Ok, I see:

$ ls /usr/lib/libc_r*
/usr/lib/libc_r.a       /usr/lib/libc_r.so.4
/usr/lib/libc_r.so      /usr/lib/libc_r_p.a

Is this the FreeBSD implementation?  I've removed linuxthreads, and when I
try to compile xmms I get gtk/glib errors.  So I've tried to use
portupgrade to ensure glib and gtk are up to date...  But get,

*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB was incorrectly installed
*** or that you have moved GLIB since it was installed. In the latter case, you
*** may want to edit the glib-config script: /usr/local/bin/glib12-config

Checking config.log reveals,

<snip>
configure:6298: cc -o conftest -O -pipe  -I/usr/X11R6/include/gtk12
-I/usr/local
/include/glib12 -D_THREAD_SAFE -DLINUXTHREADS -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/X11R6/
include -I/usr/local/include  conftest.c -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib
-L/us
r/X11R6/lib -lgtk12 -lgdk12 -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-E -lgmodule12
-lgthread12 -lgl
ib12 -lpthread -lintl -lXext -lX11 -lm 1>&5
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lpthread
configure: failed program was:
#line 6288 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
<snip>

What does 'cannot find -lpthread' imply?  This is what I saw in the past,
which made me think I needed to install some non-existent pthreads
implementation.

Later,
-Mike

 safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  --Benjamin Franklin