Date:      Sun, 07 Sep 1997 16:00:04 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey), doconnor@Ist.flinders.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Divert sockets..

[.....]
> Or maybe he's like me, and he can't get the thing to idle disconnect
> because of the !@#$! keep-alives that are near-impossible to turn
> off if you have a local net as well.

Hmm.  I have a local net of 8 machines, and I don't have any such
problems.  Of course you know about "set afilter".

The thing I don't understand is how re-writing anything is going to
solve a problem where people want the link to shutdown subliminally :-)

> There are a lot of general uses, besides PPP, for interface event
> notification.  PPP just uses one of them.

Agreed.

> In answer to te original question, yes, it's possible, if you are the
> packet transporter and use the tunnel devices, just like iijppp, to
> let you sleep waiting for a packet "event".  But there is no general
> event interface, even though it's becoming more and more of a kludge
> to not have one (e.g.: say I want to register for a directory change
> event because I'm a file browser, and I want to see files show up
> immediately, not after 10's of seconds when my poll-the-directory
> timer fires off).

You've been working w/ Windoze too long !!!  You're becoming a
heretic !

Perhaps that idea warrants some sort of ability to do a select() on a
seekable file.  If you've got the O_APPEND flag, select will return
when there's more data at the end (tail(1) would be almost perfect).
When you haven't got O_APPEND, maybe a file update would wake up the
select().

Of course the implementation is trivial ;-I (not)

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;