Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 95 11:27:07 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        hsu@cs.hut.fi (Heikki Suonsivu)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Daily mails

> Has anyone cleaned up the daily/security scripts not to send any mail if
> nothing seems to be wrong?

How do you tell the difference between a genuine "no problems" and
no mail as the result of having been hacked?

No news is *not* good news from the way that's supposed to work.

On the other hand, I think it is much too frequent for your typical
site; daily is simply too much crap.

Some of this type of thing should be handled via administrative
configuration and have much less agressive defaults.  The aggressive
defaults until that happens are probably a good idea security-wise
but are still a pain.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---