Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 13:04:19 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew <perrya@python.shoal.net.au>
To:        "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Keeping mutliple machine and telnets straight....

> Hello,
> 	Now that I have 3 FreeBSD machines on my network I've developed a nasty
> habbit. I tend to telnet around from machine to machine and sometimes
> (well, most of the time)lossing track of where I am. I've noticed on other
> linux machines/shells the host name is in the command line...Ie...
>
> You have new mail.
> #
>
> You have new mail.
> hostname-#
>
> Is this just a different shell or what?

depending on what shell you are using you can set this up in your prompt.
I use tcsh and in my .cshrc i have:
set prompt = "`whoami`@%m%B%c02%b%#%L>"
which gives me
andrew@joker~>>
the whoami gives my username and the rest of the stuff (which I got off
someone else, thanks Rob) gives your machine name, current directory ("~"
for home dir), and some other stuff that I can't remember.

There's a way of doing this under bash and zsh as well. I think under bash
it goes something like PS1="`whoami`@`hostname`$"; export PS1

Bye the way, this will probably start some kind of shell war thread :-)

Andrew Perry
perrya@shoal.net.au~