Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 1996 14:19:49 -0500
From:      Hal Snyder <hal@post.vale.com>
To:        "questions@FreeBSD.org" <questions@FreeBSD.org>, "'Tony Jones'" <tony@rtd.com>
Subject:   RE: DNS/host config (RFC 1597 ether/PPP)

Tony Jones wrote:

> Any tips for configuring a FreeBSD system (hostname/DNS/resolver/PPP)
> with two interfaces (PPP to ISP/dynamic address allocation and local
> Ethernet) ?
>
> Hosts on the ethernet (RFC 1597 addressing) access the net via Socks5
> running on the FreeBSD system (this part is working well)
>
> I'm running into issues like what should my hostname be (part of the ISP
> domain, or part of some local domain), whether to use pppd or iijppp
> (like to have socks initiate demand dialing but don't want named startup
> to cause iijppp to demand dial) etc etc.

I have done this using FreeBSD at two sites, except that we used HTTP proxy
but not Socks.

We gave the proxy host a name in both the ISP and the private domains
(After all, the name is assigned to the interface, not the computer).

We used iijppp, just because it was the first approach we tried, and it
worked so well we never bothered with pppd.  You can tune iijppp in
the conf file - "dfilter" - as to what sort of packets trigger dial-on-demand.
We did not do this, since often the first part of an outgoing connection
is the name lookup for an external host.

The whole setup worked so well, people started taking the Internet for
granted at work and we eventually upgraded to ISDN, using a separate router
(Ascend Pipeline 50) and retired the PPP connection.