Date:      Wed, 08 Oct 1997 03:21:29 -0400
From:      cliff ainsworth III <cliff@cliffsworld.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD Project Truck '98

Morning all......................

>> Barometric pressure, moisture (as long as we're dreaming ;)

Important for carb adjustments and great just to know anyway.

> Even a cheap accelerometer is easy to look after.

I think I was reading an article a year or so ago in Circuit Cellar about
some guy who made one of these for his Saab 9000. I will have to find it.

>This is when they're working, or after they've become small rototillers
>dragging clumps of the roadway behind you?

ROFLMAO

I would like top thank you all for such a great response. This should prove
to be an interesting project as it progresses. My apologies to anybody who
might not find this 100% pertinent to this group.

This is the company that we hope to a partial sponsorship from
<<http://www.dakotadigital.com>>; for our dashboard. But we are going to
wait a while before we contact them. If all goes well on our end we should
have carbon-fiber driveshafts and extrude-honed heads/manifolds, US Gear
Under/Overdrives which takes you automatic or manual tranny and overdrives
each gear. Meaning a three speed is now a six, and a six speed Viper tranny
is now a 12 speed transmission. B&M makes a tranny fluid sensor.

We are going to push for all of the "chasing the rainbow" technologies so
that we have a better shot at a world record. The guy who broke it last
didn't really do anything special to his block. So we have an edge there.
There are a number of companies that make sensors for tailshaft
measurements.  So that shouldn't be a problem. VDO from what I remember
makes a sensor for just about everything. Stewart Warner probably makes the
others for racing that VDO forgot. Jacobs
<<http://www.jacobselectronics.com>>; if I am not mistaken makes a crank
trigger for Chrysler ignitions FINALLY, so we can sense off of that. If
they don't, MSD <<http://www.msdignition.com/>>; probably does. Turbo
Hi-Performance magazine has enough companies listed that picking up the
other sensors shouldn't be a problem.

Interesting point.....When G.M. was promoting their extensively and I mean
extensively modified Cyclone pick-up several years ago out at Bonneville
the engineers discovered something. As the pick-up got up around 200 mph
they lost radio contact with their vehicle. The later figured out that at
those speeds on the salt flats a static shield envelopes the vehicle. I
hate when that happens :) They probably could have thrown a 75' piece of
wire out the window and had it work fine though.

Until I get all of the official information here, I believe I will be
making a 125 mph pass to qualify the vehicle because it and myself have
never been on the flats before, then a pass each way through "The Flying
Mile". If the vehicle shows promise (150 mph +) I believe I can go on the 8
mile course. If we can make 140 I'll be satisfied, as I cannot make body
modifications in this class and a 1973 Dodge is about as aerodynamic
as...............well..........a 1973 Dodge =)

Thanx for the info on the Bosche stuff, the next project race vehicle will
be an A-21 Fuel (45% water, naphtha and the rest is gas) conversion on a
1987 Audi Quattro. But one scraped knuckle at a time.

Thanx again for the enthusiasm.

-cliff

CLIFFSWORLD homepage--<http://www.cliffsworld.com>;
"Open Throttle" web-zine--<http://www.openthrottle.com>;
Quake-Clan "RIP" homepage----<http://rip.internexus.net>;
 PGP v5.0 public key available

     "Do not stare into the FDDI port with remaining eye"
     (Paraphrased from the Cisco 7206 installation guide).