Date:      Sat, 2 Aug 1997 23:34:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued

On Sat, 2 Aug 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> But it doesn't work in a stand-alone environment.  I wish people would
> stop assuming that everyone in the world has a T1 to their desks or a
> CDROM full of convenient tarballs.  It's just not the case and arguing
> that ports is a complete replacement for /usr/src is just naive in the
> extreme.  I've said it before and I'll say it again - ports would make
> a fine mechanism for this IF IT WERE IMPROVED to deal with those sorts
> of "where are my sources?" issues, but that's not the case today.

How does the ports system fail?

Packages don't need sources.  They are the moral equivalent to
sysinstall adding only the binaries.  When they do need sources,
their's MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE (which can be set to
file://cdrom/distfiles).  I've also always wanted an option to
prevent bsd.port.mk from copying the fetched distfile insto
${DISTDIR}, so that could be added (necessary to prevent copying
sources into /usr/ports/distfiles when
MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE=ftp://ftp.br.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/).

I'm keeping a mental list of extensions needed to bsd.port.mk and
friends, and the idea involves more somewhat more coding than I
initially realized (but I never suggested this as an "instant"
solution, anyways), but I haven't seen anything absolutely
unsolveable, yet.

And really, the benefits go far beyond a solution to the
"bloated-system" fight (which really doesn't interest me).

Consider the person who was just complaining that there was no
easy way to rip-out his old X installation.  Had he used the
port, it would be a simple pkg_delete.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk