Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 11:07:51 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        PenDragon_NS@wow.com
Cc:        QUESTIONS@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Won't Boot

> After using novice install and during the post-configuration, I
> recieved a "fatal error 11 caught!  I'm dead!" message.  I had to
> reboot.  The kernel loads fine but once bootup begins querying daemons
> I get messages saying login, password, hostname, domain are bad or
> don't exist.  At the end of it all, it keeps asking me to log in.  Is
> there anyway to fix this without completely reinstaling?

If you didn't get as far as setting the machine's hostname before it
crashed, sendmail will complain about it; if you didn't add any users,
you will not be able to log in as those users, only as root.

The "fatal error" message means that something (it's hard to say what)
went badly wrong and caused an unrecoverable error, leaving you with
only a partially installed system. Personally, I'd be inclined to
start again, rather than taking any chances.

BTW just a minor point, but could you press the return key every 70-72
characters? I've re-formatted your mail in my reply, but it arrived as
a single very long line, which some people may have found difficult to
read.

Cheers!

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland