Date:      05 Aug 96 16:47:01 EDT
From:      Jan Knepper <100626.3506@CompuServe.COM>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>, "[FreeBSD current]" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, "[FreeBSD Hackers]" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5 v.s. 2.2-960801-SNAP

Stefan Esser wrote:

/* No, you are perfectly right (since you mention the 2.2-SNAP, else
freebsd-stable would have been more appropriate :) */

Well, I was having the problem with RELEASE 2.1.5, I guess that is stable right?

/*
 > Yesterday I downloaded 2.1.5 STABLE. I already have 2.1.0 running on a system
 > with NCR SCSI. Version 2.1.5 refuses to access the NCR SCSI. I get the
following
 > message when booting from flop. (boot.flp)
 >
 > ncr0: aborting job
 > ncr0:2:	ERROR (90:0) (8-0-0) (0/13) @ (c8c:50000000)
 > 	script cmd = 740a8700
 > 	reg : de 00 00 13 47 00 06 0f 35 08 00 00 90 00 0f 02
 > ncr0: restart (fatal erro)
 > sd0(ncr0:0:0) COMMAND FAILED (9/f) @ f0e71a00

Hmmm, sorry. This is most probably related to your drive, and there was a
work-around in 2.1R and is in the 2.2 install kernel. (It should have been in
the GENERIC 2.2 kernel, too, but I'll have to check!)

What drive causes this problem ?  */

Well there is only one NCR SCSI in the system with a HP Harddisk and and CD-ROM.
There is no IDE or EIDE drive. So I guess it is the NCR SCSI that is causing the
problem.
However yesterday I downloaded 2.2-CURRENT completely and installed that. That
worked so far. When I rebooted at the line with "changing root device to ..."
kinda like error occured, but the system started and I could get on.
Today I reconfigured the 2.2 kernel a couple of times. At a certain moment the
"error" message disappeard. Right at this moment I even have the "wdc0" and
"wdc1" devices removed from the kernel and it runs like a charm!

/* (Best if you sent a complete log of boot messages from your 2.1R kernel). */

Well, let me see what I can do to figure out what is causing the problem since
is disappeared after I removed a couple of unused drivers from the kernel.

But first I will check if I can get the HP100VG Ethernet Adapters to work...

/* > I tried the 2.2-960801-SNAP kernel and that one seems to work. However once
the
 > system is installed there is an other kernel in the root which causes the
exact
 > same problem.

Hmm, that shouldn't be the case ... */

I think it should. I used the 2.2-960801-SNAP boot.flp to install a 2.1.5
system! <grin>

/* options	"NCR_MAX_TAGS=0" */

OK, I will try that one later...

/* to your kernel config file, configure (using the 2.1.5 "config" program !!!)
and build the kernel. */

Well, right now I am on 2.2-960801-SNAP. I guess that is the version to be on
when 'contributing' to the system right? I am thinking about devoting part of my
weekends to 'contribute' FreeBSD!
I however might need some pointers to find out where to start or what is
*urgent*.

/* Please send e-mail, if you need further help. */

Thanks for the help so far.

Don't worry, be Kneppie,
Jan