Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 98 08:15:01 -0500
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <lists@tar.com>
To:        "HighWind Software Information" <info@highwind.com>
Cc:        "current@FreeBSD.ORG" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Recent 3.0's are Depressing

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 17:30:58 -0400 (EDT), HighWind Software Information wrote:

>After lots of work a few months ago, we got all of our software working
>great under FreeBSD 3.0.
>
>In fact, it STILL works great.. That is, under:
>
>% uname -a
>FreeBSD zonda.highwind.com 3.0-19980831-SNAP FreeBSD 3.0-19980831-SNAP #0: Mon Aug 31 14:03:19 GMT 1998     root@make.ican.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386
>
>However, under the newer FreeBSD's it doesn't seem to work. Our
>application goes into 100% user space CPU and makes no progress.

[snip]

>We are an "aout" binary and have even tried STATICALLY linking with our
>libc_r. It still goes into this loop.
>
>Any ideas what could have happened to cause this. It WAS working fine. Now,
>after a little progress, we get into an infinite loop.
>
>Typhoon uses lots of disk and network I/O. What could we have tripped on?
>
>Seems to me, statically linking in libc_r would have eliminated any of
>the recent changes in libc_r from blame.
>
>I'm a bit lost as to what to do. I guess we could upgrade our FreeBSD
>machine and begin banging our heads against the wall.
>
>I'm wondering if anyone on this list would have a guess as to what new
>changes to the kernel may have caused this.

I'm not quite clear about what you're saying.  Are you saying that your
app, statically linked with a pre Sep 1 libc_r works ok on a pre Sep 1
3.0-current, but that this same statically linked app does not work on
newer 3.0-current systems?  If so, I'd agree that recent changes to libc_r
are probably not the cause of the change in behavior.  Are you still doing
lots of forks and execs?