Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 17:10:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Trenton Schulz <twschulz@gloria.cord.edu>
To:        Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson" <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Color ls

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Matthew Hunt wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 02:16:32PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson wrote:
> >
> > > With the change to ls having the 'G' switch addded is there a way to get
> > > it to show colors in other than cons25. I read the man page and it is
> > > not clear on this.
> >
> > Use a termcap that supports colours.
>
> For example, "xterm-color" in an xterm.
>
> Does anyone know why XFree86's xterm, as shipped, doesn't set
> TERM to xterm-color?  Is it for fear of an xterm-color entry
> not existing (either on the local machine, or machines you
> telnet/ssh to from the xterm)?

I pretty sure that is the culprit.  I know that on a sparc-netbsd machine I
login to on a regular basis doesn't have an xterm-color.  And I've known
friends who've been bitten by this on other Unices.  In the end, it's
probably better just to modify .Xdefaults to make your xterm "look color"

--
Trenton Schulz
twschulz@cord.edu