Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 23:22:10 +0200
From:      <friedemann.becker@student.uni-tuebingen.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sysinstall upgrade / installworld problem ...

Hi,

I tried to upgrade two systems lately (see "kernel binaries...",
2002-08-27), but I encountered a severe problem with the installation
procedure. My computers have
 - 4.6-stable on my workstation; tried to upgrade with installworld to
   5.0-current
 - 4.0-release on my router; sysinstall upgrade to 4.6-release

/stand/sysinstall upgrade and make installworld seem to
overwrite binaries in the /bin, /usr/bin, ... directories which are needed
by the installation process. So both break with error messages like
"foobar has wrong ELF-type. use brandelf to mark it" (I think it was
something like that). This leaves my systems in an unusable state, only
backups or installation from cd could help.
So: what am I missing, shouldn't sysinstall only use binaries from /stand?
Shouldn't it be possible to run the installation process from a set of
binaries and libs from a secure location?
Or did I misinterpret the messages and the problem is hidden somewhere
else?

Any enlightment about the installation procedures of sysinstall and
installworld would be appreciated, I still don't have a clue, when
sysinstall actually does recover the backup of /etc (/usr/tmp/etc) for
instance, or why sysinstall upgrade over passive ftp always loses
the connection at the same points (e.g. after slice 9 of the bin-package,
and several others, too).

So thanks in advance and happy explaining ;-)

Btw, I'm on this list for ca. 2 weeks now and I like it very much here.
Just wanted to tell... :)

Gruß, etc,
Friedemann