Date:      21 Nov 2000 16:11:35 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, w.steuerle@firemail.de
Subject:   Re: what`s missing ?

w.steuerle@firemail.de (wolfgang steuerle) writes:

> So what is the difference between the minimal and the
> "kernel-developer " installation , that is necesarry for running
> emacs.I don't want to install it all by floppies,because Plip
> installation didn't work for me

It's not the kernel that's necessary for running the emacs package,
it's X.  Emacs has to be either compiled with X support (in which case
it links with the X libraries and won't run without them, although
this configuration will work fine without an X server), or without any
X support at all.  If you don't have X, install emacs from the port
rather than the package.  This means you'll need to install the ports
system (or at least parts of it) and the emacs source tarball, but
that's still probably easier than installing X.