Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 01:44:30 -0400
From:      Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>
To:        lists@efinley.com, isp-tech@isp-tech.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I interpret this traceroute?

At 05:28 09/19/2000 +0000, Elliot Finley wrote:
>[lines wrapped at 110 so that traceroute output will not be wrapped]
>
>The first traceroute dies at 157.130.162.62.  The !H means host
>unreachable.  But does this mean that
>216.190.63.1 (the final destination) is the one that is having problems,
>and is unreachable?  Or does this
>mean that there is some sort of routing loop on 157.130.162.62?
>
>The second traceroute makes it all the way through and is just shown here
>for reference.

It could be either one of those.  157.130.162.62 is reporting back to you
that it is the gateway for the next hop, and it is unable to communicate
with the next hop.. be that the ultimate destination, or just one more hop
along the way.

I'd suspect a misconfiguration upon seeing the same machine responding
twice.. but it could be that the interface was down when the traceroute was
run.

Does it continually fluctuate between working and not?

-------signature file-------
PGP Key Fingerprint:
446B 7718 B219 9F1E 43DD  8E4A 6BE9 D739 CCC5 7FD7

"I don't think [Linux] will be very successful in the long run."
"My experience and some of my friends' experience is that Linux is quite
unreliable. Microsoft is really unreliable but Linux is worse."
-Ken Thompson, Interview May 1999.

http://www.freebsd.org
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve

http://www.rfnj.org