Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 04:30:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at (Hr.Ladavac)
Cc:        DARBY1@x400.telkom400.inca.za, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dummies guide to freebsd ?

It seems that Hr.Ladavac said:

> E-mail message from RYAN DARBY contained:
>
> > Also, I get a WARNING : / NOT PROPERLY DISMOUNTED when I boot.  I logout
> > and then turn off.  I am running on a standalone PC.  Am I doing something
> > wrong to get out of it?
>
> Yes.  Very wrong, indeed.  You should shut the machine down prior to power
> down.  The easiest way to do that on a standalone PC is CTRL-ALT-DEL
> (i.e. keyboard machine reset, you know, three-finger-salute :)

Hmmm... are you *sure* this cleanly kills all processes, flushes
cache, etc.  (I don't know for sure...)

> You should do that on a console without X running on it.  To switch to one
> of these from X use CTRL-ALT-F1 (that will put you in boot console,
> probably the best one for shutdown as all system messages normally appear
> there.)

I think shutdown silently kills all the VTY's and leaves you *at*
"the" console...

Hmmm... SysV used to check for shutdown/halt stuff coming ONLY from
the console.  Now I'm curious if FBSD imposes this also (though
halt from single user mode would *obviously* be from the console!  :>)

--don