Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2005 01:39:29 -0600
From:      Gene <listmail@Bomgardner.net>
To:        artware <artware@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Blacklisting IPs

I have the same problem - numerous attempts to crack accounts like
"admin", Guest", "test", and so on.

If it continually comes from the same IP, blocking that IP at the
firewall should do the trick.
However, if the attempts come from varying IPs and you intend to allow
logins from the Internet, then you'd need to block out an unwieldy
number of IP addresses. The best bet in this case is to make sure your
system is as secure as possible. Disable telnet and allow only ssh
logins. Make sure you use strong passwords, or better, try one time
passwords. (See the handbook.) I use ssh, no telnet from outside the
lan, with ssh restricted to allow only certain users/groups to login,
and all those groups use opie for one time passwords. In addition, the
firewall (I use IPF) is pretty tight, only allowing through the services
I want available outside the lan.

I do seem to recall a scheme that detects such things as port scans and
automagically adds a rule to the firewall to block the offending IP
address, but I doubt that would help in your case.

One other thing I have done: Since a great many of the attempts come
from IPs that resolve to the "pl" top level domain, I've just blocked
any ip address that resolves to that domain altogether. I don't really
expect any interest in my web site to come from Poland, so the action is
feasible for me.

I'm certain that others on the list will come up with better methods,
but I just wanted to toss in my 2 cents worth.

Gene