Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 1995 16:02:42 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 Sound driver

>>> "matthew c. mead" said:
 > 	I remember Amancio and some others were working on the 3.0 alpha
 > version of the audiovox sound driver, especially in the areas of the
 > GUS/GUS MAX support.  Does anyone know what's become of this effort, and if
 > there is a fully (or close to fully) working version of it yet?  I'd really
 > like to have most aspects of my sound driver working.  When I used the
 > 3.0.2 version, everything seemed fixed except cat >/dev/audio.  Anyone out
 > there using this?  Thanks...

There are a few issues involved at least on my end:

	o The lack of technical specs for the GUS MAX codec. I have to
	  order it. Jim Lowe I believe has the specs for the GUS
	  MAX's codec.

	o A couple of minor releases from Hannu proved to be too difficult
	  to integrate into FreeBSD in a timely fashion for the 2.0.5 release.

	o We keep getting into problems with the way that we devised to
	  implement dual dma operations and as it stands it is best to
	  re-code dmabuf.c to support dual dma operations. A while back
	  I mailed to Hannu and I came to the conclusion that the fastest
	  way to provide dual dma operations is thru the current existing
	  mechanism;however, with the GUS MAX is time to do it the
	  "right" way.

	o Right now , I don't have a lot of time to work on the sound driver
	  so at least progress on my end is going to be slow.

When I have something that is worth releasing to the group,I will be happy
to post it.Till then you either going to have to be a little patient or
sharpen your pencils :)

	Cheers

Amancio Hasty
Hasty Software Consulting Services
Tel: 415-495-3046, Fax 415-495-3046, Cellular, 415-309-8931
e-mail:	  hasty@star-gate.com